Using a spur-of-the-moment purchase of adorable red and black buffalo plaid pre-quilted fabric, this vest was supposed to be a simple, quick and easy make. Instead it became one of my biggest, head-scratcher skillbuilder projects that I am so proud of.
Instagram that motivated me to hang in there to the finish line. What could be so hard about making a vest out of pre-quilted material you might ask? And that would be a very good question!! It was because of the pre-quilted material that prompted me to want all seams finished perfectly. There could be no facings nor lining.... it was all about the seam finishes. And plaid placement. Took me forever just to cut the fabric out.
here. Originally 16.99/yard, the pre-quilted plaid fabric was on sale for $7.99/yard and silly me thought 1 1/4 yards of the 53" wide fabric would be enough for a simple vest. Not until I began laying out the pattern and really thinking about how the plaid would work in the vest, did I realize 1 1/4 yards was going to be tight. I'm super proud I made it work, even though the collar is pieced in a couple of spots. Needless to say, there is no scraps. And that is nice!
The Thread Blog at fabrics-store.com wrote a most excellent tutorial on constructing flat-felled seams with an in-seam pocket. I found it hard to find an online tutorial on this skill so am very grateful she took the time to photograph and write hers. It was easy to follow and turned out well. I'll be using it again! By the way, not sure why the pattern does not include any in-seam pockets..... only patch pockets. So my self-drafted pocket opening ended up a little narrow, but that's okay....