Gene Black, who is heading the Quilt Angel Project again this year for an Alabama children's home, before the Dec. 15 deadline.
In the last post about this quilt, the top was pieced after using my new iphone's panoramic photo feature to take a couple of different shots of the fabrics, to determine color placement.
Then the frustration(s) began. Having already prepped and pieced together cream-colored flannel from the stash for the backing, I noticed a small stain.... on the flannel.... the flannel I had pre-washed. I knew the stain would not come out. What to do..... what to do. Aha! The quilt label could be stitched over the stain (in the middle of the back) and become a 'design element'. Yes! I quickly made a perfect 'heart' label using the embroidery feature on my machine for the wording. The label on the left, photo below, turned out perfect and was immediately satin-stitched to the flannel, where I now began to worry about the integrity of the flannel fabric. With every needle stitch, there was a hole. It reminded me of a flannel pair of pajama pants I made for my daughter last year where, within a few washings, the flannel ripped. Not the seams... not even at the seams..... but within the flannel itself. Certainly not wanting that to happen here... trashed the flannel and started over.... which meant I could not use the perfect label either. Thinking that while I had the label mojo going I'd go ahead and make another label, which turned out terrible - photo below, top right. Third time being the charm, and an hour later, the next one turned out fine... photo below, bottom. Some of my frustrations this day were shared on Instagram.
Bugs! Baby Boy's Quilt. I felt no drag, nor pull, as the walking foot was stitching, and also found I did not need to stop and readjust the presser foot so much.
2013's Alabama quilt with all the links