I have made a new Peasant Top.
This was part of my Make a Garment a Month plans for February
. I didn't make the pants I'd planned on, so am wearing this with my Simplicity 7131 pants I made in January.
Love the way it moves with me.
I'd made this shirt before in the sleeveless version
so I knew the neckline was cut a little low, so I raised the neckline 1" and am sooooo glad I did as this fabric has a little 'stretch' and the neckline still turned out a little lower than I really wanted.
I cut a size 10 and constructed with french seams with the exception of the sleeve inserts and sleeve bands. Those were serged. I added a little flare from the waist down too. The neckline band was doubled in size - to help with the modesty factor and also because I decided I liked it that way. No drawstring and no center 'opening', though I did include a center seam as per the pattern instructions. Originally I didn't and cut the front on the fold, subtracting the seam allowance, but the shirt was just so big. I was able to get the fit I wanted by manipulating the center seam after all. There was a huge difference in the way this fabric sewed up into this shirt and the way my earlier cotton fabric one did. I also modified the sleeves to have a simple band to finish them off. Even though this fabric is not a knit, there is some stretch and give to it, and coupled with the grand neck opening it is quite easy to pull on and off.
Fabric came from Wal-Mart and total cost was $4.50.
My daughter tells me my cute top looks like a renaissance period shirt with its
gathers at the shoulder seams and fullness at the wrists. All I know
is that it is comfortable and I like it!
I love your new blouse.. so pretty.Happy sewing.ReplyDelete
Thank you Judy!Delete
That is very pretty, and yes, the flow is great! It looks comfortable and dressy at the same time.ReplyDelete
I wore it to dinner last night and felt a little 'dressed', yet totally comfortable.Delete
So pretty and soft. Nice fabric and color. I love peasant tops!ReplyDelete
I love them too!Delete