Lunch with a sweet friend meant the (self-imposed) pressure was on to
finish my very first attempt at a (traced) Burda pattern. And I am pleased.
In our little rural town's public library I was so excited to find the BurdaStyle Sewing Handbook available to check out complete with all the patterns in the back that looked like they'd never been used/traced. This book is perfect to learn how to work with Burda patterns, as well as improve general sewing skills. They encourage the seamstress to be creative with their patterns and include a skirt, blouse, dress, coat and bag patterns with 3 very different variations for each.
Wanting to start with what I thought would be the easiest, I chose Erin's version of the skirt. I did not include the pockets.
I think this fabric is another piece purchased at Wal-Mart for probably $2-3.00 per yard. I had just enough for this skirt. I like the soft taupes and brown in this paisley. This was my first attempt at a waistband and since it's been years and years since I've put a zipper in, I chose a centered zipper, instead of an invisible zipper, as I've never done one of those and my learning curve was already plenty on this project!
This is an A-line skirt with seven panels with a curved waistband. Traced the pattern pieces out on freezer paper, then traced another set to mark my custom fit measurements for this particular style skirt. I traced a size 42 and let out the front panel pieces a little, added a couple of darts in the back and think I made the front a little too big after all. (Still have a lot to learn on 'fit'!) For this variation it was suggested to lengthen the pattern pieces by 4-6", but since I'm a little tall I lengthened mine 7" and barely turned under my hem.
I took my time with this project wanting to work on 'fit'. Hand-sewed the waistband because I didn't want any top-stitching to show, and serged everything else. No lining this time. Then hid the waistband with my belt because it helped snug everything up and I think it looks better with a belt after all.
Originally planned to do a blind hem but because of time constraints simply turned the hem up and straight stitched with a long stitch to make it easy in case I want to rip it out later and do a blind hem. Right now, I'm happy with the stitched hem.
This is a great skirt! It is a little different style than what I'd originally wear, but feels good on and I like the way I 'feel' in it. Lunch with my friend was fun and I've been wearing it all day since. Noticed it wrinkles a little. I can deal with that.
Because I checked this book out at my public library, my pattern was free.
Fabric ran @$5.00 maybe.
Notions included a zipper: $1.50
So a custom fit pretty skirt cost @$6.50 and I feel like I've improved my skill level. This book includes so many great ideas for variations on its patterns, I'm looking forward to trying another soon. But first, I need to sew a couple of tops now.
EDITED 5.8.2014 - I used the
overskirt pattern pieces to 'Miho's Variation', but made it up like
'Erin's Variation' omitting the pockets.
Oh Lisa, you look great in that skirt! It is so stylish! You did an awesome job! I'm trying to get back into sewing, or should I say, teaching myself how to sew! I'm making a simple dress for Yasmine, and so far it's OK, except for the bias. I don't think I did that right cause it is fraying a little. I have so much to learn! Thanks for sharing! The photos are great! Blessings from Bama!ReplyDelete
Woot! Wow, you did a great job....I haven't actually sewed clothing in many years, since the kiddos were small. :)ReplyDelete
Lovely skirt with a great fit.ReplyDelete
Thank you Luz Kettle!Delete